Adler Firm, PLLC
Free Consultation - Call 24/7

Parents of disabled children, do you know about SSI and SSDI?

We often work with people from around the Detroit area who have a child with a disability, so we understand the challenges these parents face.

When we first meet them, a surprising number of our clients are not getting the maximum government benefits to which they are entitled. So, we thought a post introducing our readers to the two chief federal programs that parents of disabled children ought to know about might be helpful.

You never know -- you might qualify for one of those programs, and wouldn't the extra assistance be helpful?

  • Social Security Disability Insurance: This program does not kick in until later. If a child has turned 22, he or she may qualify for SSDI if at least one of his or her parents is already receiving SSDI or Social Security retirement benefits, or has died after working long enough to "pay into" the Social Security system, which usually means for at least 10 years.
  • Supplemental Security Income: This is a need-based, cash-assistance program for low-income families or disabled people. Children who are under 18 (or 22, if they are students) are eligibile for SSI if they have a "medically determinable" physical or mental limitation, that limitation will last for at least 12 months and the child earns less than $1,040 a month (if he or she is blind) or $1, 740 (if he or she is not are blind.)

Now, unfortunately, these programs are much more complicated than we are making them seem here and many applicants get frustrated with the whole porcess. The good news, though, is that help is available if you are interested in having someone guide you through the process. Many professionals who work with these programs have accumulated enough experience and know-how to be very useful.

Source: The Huffington Post, "Maximize Your Disabled Child's Government Aid," Jason Alderman, March 27, 2013

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Request A Free Consultation

Representing Michigan injured workers since 1979.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Traverse City Office
13561 S West Bay Shore Drive
Suite 301
Traverse City, MI 49684

Toll Free: 888-873-7173
Fax: 231-943-2299
Map & Directions

Farmington Hills Office
30300 Northwestern Highway
Suite 304
Farmington Hills, MI 48334

Map & Directions

Adler Firm, PLLC