Adler Firm, PLLC
Free Consultation - Call 24/7

What property can I own and qualify for SSI benefits?

What a Michigan resident owns matters for whether he or she will qualify for Supplemental Security Income, or SSI, benefits. There are property limits the government imposes that limit how much a person can own and still obtain benefits. For a person to obtain SSI benefits, his or her assets must be worth $2,000 or less. A couple may own $3,000 or less of assets and obtain SSI benefits.

Fortunately, not all of a person's assets will count as a resource for purposes of determining SSI eligibility. Property that a person owns and uses to support him or herself may not be counted by the Social Security Administration toward his or her asset limit. Personal property used for work, including safety equipment, tools and uniforms, or other assets used in a person's business, such as farm equipment or supplies for a beauty parlor, may not be counted toward the personal asset limit for SSI eligibility, either.

Other property that a Michigan resident owns may either be fully or partially excluded when the SSA evaluates the total amount of property a person owns. A person's non-business property, such as real estate or equipment which a person rents to someone to produce income may be excluded as an asset. Similarly, property such as land or livestock that a person uses to produce goods or services useful for everyday life may also be excluded. The SSA recognizes that such property can be not only valuable, but also essential, as it can help disabled individuals grow food to feed themselves and their families.

A person who is seeking to obtain SSI benefits and has questions about eligibility requirements and property allowances may wish to seek the guidance of an attorney. Someone who thinks he or she owns too much property to qualify for SSI benefits may actually have a large amount of property that does not count toward the property limit and therefore can pursue much-needed benefits.

Source:, "Spotlight On Property You Need For Self-Support," accessed Nov. 27, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Request A Free Consultation

Representing Michigan injured workers since 1979.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Traverse City Office
13561 S West Bay Shore Drive
Suite 301
Traverse City, MI 49684

Toll Free: 888-873-7173
Fax: 231-943-2299
Map & Directions

Farmington Hills Office
30300 Northwestern Highway
Suite 304
Farmington Hills, MI 48334

Map & Directions

Adler Firm, PLLC