How Do I File for Federal Workers’ Compensation?

In the event that you are injured while working for the federal government in Michigan, you may be able to file for workers’ compensation. If you have never had to do this before, you likely have questions about the process. The United States Department of Labor lays out guidelines that cover many aspects of workers’ compensation.

One important thing you should know about filing a claim is that you usually need to file within a certain amount of time. If your employer knew about your injury, you may sometimes receive compensation beyond this amount of time. Usually, however, a claim must be filed three years from the day you left your position or realized you were injured in a work-related accident.

To file a workers’ compensation claim, there is typically a form which you must fill out. Which form you fill out depends on your reason for filing. If you need workers’ compensation because your work has caused you to have a medical condition, you also need to complete a form which details your condition. A separate form exists for injuries you received while working.

There are also forms that usually need to be filed if your injury caused you to be out of work without pay. Information about the injury and the pertinent medical documents typically are required, and you also may have to account for the timeline if you did not miss consecutive days of work. It is recommended that you keep of all the documents you send in with your claim, as you may sometimes need to send in additional information.

This information is general in nature and should not be used in place of legal advice.