Adler Firm, PLLC
Free Consultation - Call 24/7

How do you get Social Security Disability for bipolar disorder?

When you live with bipolar disorder in Michigan, you understand how disabling the condition can be. A previous blog discussed the disability benefits you might be eligible for if you have a mental illness. This week’s blog will focus on filing to receive those benefits.

When you file your claim, you usually need to show that you have had your condition for at least two years. According to Social Security Disability SSI Resource Center, you need to be able to demonstrate that your condition keeps you from working and is chronic. You may also receive benefits if you require a specific living situation. Additionally, your disorder typically must fall under the Social Security Administration’s definition of a disability. This means that it keeps you from making enough money to be considered gainfully employed or prevents you from working entirely.

When you apply for SSD benefits, you usually need to demonstrate your episodic periods so the SSA understands the severity of your condition. If you suffer depressive syndrome, you typically need to show that you have fatigue and problems concentrating. You might show that you have a documented history of being easily distracted or overactive if you have manic syndrome.

You can qualify for SSD benefits even if your bipolar disorder does not meet all of the SSA’s requirements. The kinds of work you can do, your job history and your education are all taken into account when a disability examiner determines your eligibility.

This information is general in nature and should not be used in place of legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Request A Free Consultation

Representing Michigan injured workers since 1979.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Traverse City Office
13561 S West Bay Shore Drive
Suite 301
Traverse City, MI 49684

Toll Free: 888-873-7173
Fax: 231-943-2299
Map & Directions

Farmington Hills Office
30300 Northwestern Highway
Suite 304
Farmington Hills, MI 48334

Map & Directions

Adler Firm, PLLC