Adler Firm, PLLC
Free Consultation - Call 24/7

What should I do if my social security disability is denied?

If you have a long-term injury that prevents you from working in Michigan, you may be able to receive disability benefits through social security. If you have applied for the benefits and you receive a denial letter, there are things you can do to reverse this decision.  

FindLaw reports that it is not unusual for the Social Security Administration to deny a disability application, but that going through the appeals process usually turns out favorably for the applicant. The first thing you need to do is find out why it was denied in the first place. Common reasons include:

  • You cannot be located
  • Your disability is estimated to last shorter than a year
  • You earn too much money
  • You did not provide the correct records or information
  • You did not follow the recommended treatment protocol 

If you choose to repeal, time is of the essence. You have only 60 days from the letter's date or else you have to start the whole process over. One way to appeal is in writing, and you have a choice of forms to fill out, depending on your situation.

The Social Security Administration makes it easy to appeal by offering the ability to do it online. When submitting your appeal, make sure you have the proper documentation handy to upload. This may include a list of your medications and any new tests or medical treatments since you submitted your application. You must also give information about any changes in your daily routine, medical issues, education or employment. If you have questions as you go along, most information can be found online as well.



No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Request A Free Consultation

Representing Michigan injured workers since 1979.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Traverse City Office
13561 S West Bay Shore Drive
Suite 301
Traverse City, MI 49684

Toll Free: 888-873-7173
Fax: 231-943-2299
Map & Directions

Farmington Hills Office
30300 Northwestern Highway
Suite 304
Farmington Hills, MI 48334

Map & Directions

Adler Firm, PLLC