Adler Firm, PLLC
Free Consultation - Call 24/7

What to do if fired for an OSHA report

If you lost your job, or are being discriminated against, in Michigan because you made a safety violation report to OSHA, you have rights. There are numerous laws and regulations in place that protect workers from unsafe working conditions and from consequences that may arise from reporting unsafe environments. If you are a victim you should take immediate action.

According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, there are laws protecting whistleblowers who work in almost all private companies and in some federal organizations. OSHA can help those who were not only fired for their reporting, but also those who still have a job but are facing some type of discrimination. This includes:

  • An undesirable shift or job assignment
  • Reduction in hours or pay
  • Demotion
  • Harassment
  • Benefits denial
  • Loss of seniority

Any employee who is experiencing any of the above needs to file a complaint with OSHA, and this needs to be done within 30 days. Proof needs to be shown that any penalties were a direct result of the reporting, and that they happened around the same time. This can be done through witnesses and by documenting all conversations and meetings with the employer. If you had previous stellar performance reviews, these can help your claim as well.

What happens if your employer is found to be in the wrong? The EHS Today reports that in some cases the employer can be sued. In a lawsuit, the Department of Labor can ask for reinstatement of the employee's prior position, compensatory damages and lost wages, front pay and payment for punitive damages and emotional distress.




No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Request A Free Consultation

Representing Michigan injured workers since 1979.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Traverse City Office
13561 S West Bay Shore Drive
Suite 301
Traverse City, MI 49684

Toll Free: 888-873-7173
Fax: 231-943-2299
Map & Directions

Farmington Hills Office
30300 Northwestern Highway
Suite 304
Farmington Hills, MI 48334

Map & Directions

Adler Firm, PLLC