Adler Firm, PLLC
Free Consultation - Call 24/7

Who covers a work-related car accident?

If you drive a car for work, or you run an errand for your employer, in Michigan and you are in a car accident, who pays for the expenses? It depends on a variety of factors, such as who the at-fault party is and if the company owns the vehicle. If you experience injuries due to the accident, you may receive compensation in a number of ways. 

According to NCCI, if you experience injuries from an on-the-job accident, the employer's workers' compensation should cover your medical expenses. In fact, motor vehicle accidents are responsible for a large number of workers' compensation claims. If the accident results in a fatality, workers' comp is also responsible for death benefits to the survivors.

According to FindLaw, the employer may also be responsible to cover car accident-related expenses through their insurance company due to the term vicarious liability. When the employee is performing a job duty when the crash occurs, even if the driver was negligent, the employer's car insurance policy should cover property and medical expenses.

If, however, you are in an accident and you were not performing a job-related task, the employer may not have the responsibility to pay. Same with if you were doing something illegal at the time of the crash. Testing positive for alcohol or drugs can immediately void your ability to collect expense reimbursement from either the employers' insurance policy or workers' compensation benefits. Driving a company-owned vehicle has its benefits, but you must also treat the responsibility with the respect it deserves.




No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Request A Free Consultation

Representing Michigan injured workers since 1979.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Traverse City Office
13561 S West Bay Shore Drive
Suite 301
Traverse City, MI 49684

Toll Free: 888-873-7173
Fax: 231-943-2299
Map & Directions

Farmington Hills Office
30300 Northwestern Highway
Suite 304
Farmington Hills, MI 48334

Map & Directions

Adler Firm, PLLC