Important Steps to Protect Your Workers’ Comp Claim
If you have suffered an on-the-job injury or developed an occupational illness, an experienced workers’ compensation claims attorney can help ensure that you obtain all the workers’ compensation benefits which you are entitled to receive.
There are important steps you can take to protect your health and your rights after an injury in the workplace. These include:
- Seek Immediate Medical Attention: For the first 10 days after an injury, if offered, you must be treated by a doctor that is among those selected by your employer. After that period, you may select your own physician for treatment. You must provide your employer or their insurance company with the name and address of any doctor you choose for medical treatment or evaluation of your work-related condition.
- Notify Your Employer: You should immediately notify your employer of any injury or disease suffered on the job. The law provides that you have 90 days after the injury to notify your employer of your injury. If you do not notify your employer within 90 days, your claim is still valid unless the employer can show its claims are prejudiced by late notice.
- Consult an Attorney: It’s never too early to contact a workers’ compensation attorney in Michigan to protect your interests and ensure that you receive all the benefits you deserve. Our advice is always free.
- Keep All Documentation: Make sure you keep all documents you receive or provide to your employer, the doctor, other specialists, and insurance companies.
- Keep Good Records: Document the miles you traveled for medical care, the amount you paid in copays, parking fees, the names of your doctors, and the dates you were treated. Also keep a record of the workers’ compensation payments you receive.
- Check Your Payments: Are your payments for the right amount? Are they being delayed or have they stopped completely? If you have any trouble getting paid or the amount of your weekly payment seems wrong, please contact us as soon as possible.
Our blog offers answers to frequently asked questions regarding workers' compensation claims, as well as other helpful information. We recommend reading the following blog posts: