Can I Choose My Medical Provider?

Can I Choose My Own Doctor?

The workers’ compensation claims process can make getting medical treatment for a work injury confusing. If you are suffering from an injury or work-related illness, prompt treatment could be vital for your health.

You could eventually select your own treating physician, but there are several rules to follow throughout the workers’ compensation process in Michigan. Our founding lawyer at Adler Firm, PLLC, can advise you regarding your medical treatment, your rights and other aspects of your case.

When Can You Select Your Preferred Doctor?

If your employer wishes, they can initially decide which medical provider can provide treatment for your work injury. However, under the Workers’ Disability Compensation Act, you can choose your own doctor after 28 days from the start of your care.

When you choose a different doctor, however, you must notify your employer and the insurance company. Because they are responsible for covering medical costs related to work injuries, notification of your new medical provider will be essential. Failing to meet this or other legal requirements for choosing your doctor could mean losing your chance to receive benefits.

How To Choose Your Treating Physician

It is advisable to be wary of doctors and nurse case managers of the employer’s choosing. They might not be the most appropriate source of treatment for you.

The ideal doctor for your case may depend on several factors, including:

  • The type of injuries you suffered
  • Whether your treatment will likely require specialized medical knowledge
  • The location of the clinic or medical facility and other accessibility matters

Your primary physician may or may not be the best choice for your workers’ compensation case. However, you might feel more comfortable working with a doctor whom you trust and who already knows your medical history. An experienced workers’ compensation attorney can also recommend providers from their trusted network of doctors and specialists.

Call Us For Workers’ Compensation Advice

Our experienced lawyer can clarify your options after a work injury. For a consultation, email Adler Firm, PLLC, or call 888-873-7173. We are located in Traverse City and Farmington Hills, but we are ready to meet you at your home, hospital or medical facility as necessary.